New to Hockey FAQ
How much does it cost for my child to play?
The rates are posted on the website. Different levels of play have different pricing ranges. Most of the time the level of play in hockey associations is done by Birth Years and Age.
- Mosquitos is our house league for beginners. First time playing hockey ages 5-9 also known as our “Try Hockey” program. Depending upon fundraising, this typically is $125 for one hour a week for a 6 week session.
- Mites is the next step up and is usually 6-8 year old players. Mites is $1,785 and has 3 hours of ice time per week. Usually 2 practices and 1 game. Mite practices are typically Friday Night 6-7p.m. and games/practices on the weekend days are typically between 8a.m. and 12:00p.m. Mites is a ½ ice buzzer hockey. All games are played out of Northstar Ice Sports in Westborough, MA.
- Squirts is for our 9-10 year old athletes. Squirts costs are $2,135. Squirts is a full ice hockey game play. Our Squirt teams play out of the Valley Hockey League (VHL). Squirts typically have 3 hours of ice per week (maybe 4 depending upon games). Typically a mid week practice on Wednesday, followed up with a practice on Saturday with games on Sunday. Games may be on Saturday or Sunday.
- Peewee is for our 11-12 year old athletes. Peewee costs are $2,135. Squirts is a full ice hockey game play. Our Peewee teams play out of the Valley Hockey League (VHL). Peewee typically have 3 hours of ice per week (maybe 4 depending upon games). Typically a mid week practice on Wednesday, followed up with a practice on Saturday with games on Sunday. Games may be on Saturday or Sunday.
- Bantams is for our 13-14 year old Athletes. Bantam costs are $2,035. The same details as Peewee and Squirts are similar. Plays out of the VHL and has 3 hours of ice time each week.
- Midgets is for our 15-17 year old players and is a short season from September to November. This season is to help the high school athletes get into shape for tryouts and game play. Midgets is typically $750 for the short season and typically have 3 hours of ice per week. Two practices and 1 game out of the Valley Hockey League (VHL).
Are there any payment options? Lump sum vs installments?
When registering through our TeamSnap Website you get to choose your installments. Whether Quarterly, Monthly, BiWeekly, or a lump sum. The most popular is monthly.
Does that cost include uniforms?
No, Uniforms and socks are purchased separately.
How much do the uniforms cost and what is included?
Uniforms and socks currently are $75.
What equipment is needed and how do we put it on?
This is a video from USA Hockey’s website that could be an option to link to:
How much should I expect to spend on equipment?
Price ranges vary greatly depending on the size of your child and the overall quality of the equipment. It is recommended to visit Pure Hockey in Marlborough to gain a better understanding.
My child just wants to try hockey out and may not be ready to commit to a full season yet. Are there any options where I can borrow equipment to try it out?
Many Triboro families have used gear in their homes that they would love to see put to use. We also partner with Clean N Hard sports in Worcester who offers used equipment at a lower cost.
I have concerns about the time commitment required. What is the typical schedule?
The season runs from the end of August through late March/early April (depending on playoff results) with 1 weekday and 1 weekend practice, along with 1 weekend game, each 50-60 minutes in length. Triboro attempts to maintain as much consistency as possible in practice times, to help families with their schedule planning.
How is the schedule communicated to parents?
Via the TeamSnap App
My child is just learning to skate. How do you ensure kids are playing with other kids of similar skill level?
Evaluations. We host evaluations in March of each year, and this helps us gauge where each child is at and put that on a team that is appropriate for their skill level. If you join Triboro after March, we will host your child at a number of practices to start the season and place them accordingly.
How does my child get assigned to a team? Is there a tryout or something to assess skill level?
We host evaluations each March. If you miss evaluations, no need to worry, we will host your child at a number of practices and place them on a team appropriate for their skill level.
How do I obtain a USA Hockey number? How often do I need to obtain one?
You will need a USA hockey number each season. The USA Hockey season runs April through March, so each April you will need to renew your membership.
You can register here: https://membership.usahockey.com/
I want to get involved. Can I help coach? Can I participate on the board?
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Triboro. If you’d like to get involved please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is my child too old to start hockey?
No, you’re never too old to start hockey!
What is the cutoff date to register for the upcoming season?
We recommend registration be completed ahead of March evaluations for team and equipment planning purposes, but new joiners are always welcome.
My child wants to play hockey, but they’ve never ice skated before. Where do we even start?
The first place to start is with skating lessons. There are a number of programs in the area, but those to research are John Dillion, Hayes Hockey and FMC Skating.
Leave a Comment